Whole food smoothies are an excellent way to meet your veggie quota so you can get in enough antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, fiber, and water easily - no utensils required! In honor of St. Patty's Day, I crafted a delicious green smoothie concoction just for you so you can drink and be merry without the alcohol (beer, wine, and spirits are detrimental to good gut health). Each recipe provides 2 servings of veggies, but a bonus is that it doesn't taste like V8 juice. It naturally has a pleasant sweet/tart flavor and is very refreshing!
Crystal's Shamrockin' Smoothie
- Baby spinach leaves, 1 cup
- Granny Smith apple, 1/2 large
- Celery stalk, 1 medium
- Green grapes, 2/3 cup frozen
- Ground ginger, dash
- 1 cup chilled water
- 4 ice cubes
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 2 Tbsp blanched almonds
- 6 oz plain yogurt or 1 scoop plain protein powder
- Wash and freeze green grapes ahead of time.
- Add desired ingredients to high quality blender and blend until smooth consistency is achieved.
There are many alternate variations you can experiment with to come up with your own favorite flavor and consistency! Here are some ideas:
- Substitute kale for spinach for a richer flavor and thicker consistency.
- Use a Bartlett pear instead of a Granny Smith apple for a sweeter flavor.
- Add a peeled cucumber half instead of celery for more volume.
- Swap cinnamon for ginger for a sweet undertone taste (cinnamon naturally magnifies sweetness).
This Shamrockin' Smoothie fits the bill not only for St. Patrick's Day, but after workouts or anytime you need a mid-afternoon pick-me-up. Cheers to getting in more greens!